Monday, February 11, 2008

Grammy Reaction: Argh, Amy Winehouse

This is, by no means, a bashing post. I just simply do not understand the hype/amazement surrounding Amy Winehouse. She does have a good voice, no doubt about that. However, she does not bring the 'soul' to the soul music she is singing. She lacks the passion that brings out the funk in it. Also, as an artist struggling with addiction issues, I can see how it might seem that her music is more expressive. Maybe my reaction to her is because I have not seen a performance by her that I've enjoyed. I can see why her recorded album and music videos can help her in this way. Anyways, I just personally think that she does not deserve to win as many Grammys as she had tonight. I think it's just that the other songs in the fields weren't as strong in Grammy voters' perferences. This is only my own opinion.

Here is the satellite performance for the Grammy by Amy Winehouse (I thought this performance was weak, too):

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

at least she's no joss stone.

Anonymous said...

u hear the "frank" album? much better...

i'm not a full fan of winehouse either, though the frank album brought a hint of soul. perhaps that i only found out about her through pop means affects my bias, but my cousins from london knew her much earlier so that gives her some legitimacy.

question to you...can there still be soul in pop music? or does mtv "whoring" for lack of a better term deplete all soul?

AC said...

i agree that i dont think joss stone can be consider as soul music either and that it should be placed under pop music as well. i think someone like corinne bailey rae would be closer than both to it. but that's beside the point of the post.

i guess this is where currently music is at and heading towards. i'm thinking that it is an inevitable transition of different music in general to be converted into mainstream "pop" to appeal to a wider audience.

in regards to amy winehouse, i just think that what has been shown in "rehab" and "back to black" was not enough to warrant that many Grammy wins. i think for being the highest honor in recording industry, there needs to be more proof that it is the best. as i've mentioned, i just think that the competitions in the song of the year category was not strong enough.

Anonymous said...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2aisf_amy-winehouse-you-sent-me-flyingliv_music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMyQfHWEOh0

no soul??