Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Mousetrap

So my roommate thought he saw a mouse in our apartment the other day and from what I saw, it was not a mouse. I just thought he was overracting to a spider or a bug. That was until last night at 3am. While I was surfing the Internet, I caught something moving in the corner of my eyes. And there it was, looking right back at me. It was just a gray, furry little rodent about the size of a ping-pong. In my attempt to quickly catch it, I cornered it into my closet space. Or so I thought.

The lighting-quick critter managed to escape the confinement that I have set up for it. Damnit, mouse 1 ac 0. After trying to catch it for an hour and a half, playing hide and seek while attempt to put a box over it, I decided to name it Oscar. Being a coordinated person, I've always thought I was fast. But Oscar was faster. It was able to make a 90 degree turn without having to slow down.

Finally, I cornered it into my bathroom, but Oscar was able to fit through the side crack on the wall next to my sink. Well, at least it has no other way out and Oscar will just have to travel in between the walls. This is not good enough though. I decided to build a mousetrap. Most of the trap instruction I found requires harming the victim. I don't want to hurt Oscar. After a bit more searching, I finally found a humane trap, which was brilliant! It took me 20min to build the thing and I even added a string with a paper clip tied to the towel paper roll, so that the trap can be easily reloaded.

After leaving the trap for the rest of the night, there has been no luck so far. I might try to use some other baits tonight and see if Oscar will fall for it. I'll add an update after I try that out tonight.

The Trap and What Oscar Kinda Looks Like


The Actual Mousetrap That I Made




Bait #1 Marshmellow
Bait #2 Peas

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't think that styrofoam cup is stable enough alfred...


-tammy

AC said...

it is actually not a styrofoam cup, but a plastic bucket which should be strong enough.